The Great Torucon Prop-Off!
Have you made an incredibly fancy prop for your costume? Have you ever gotten started on a costume without ever finishing it all? Or maybe you’ve got a really cool piece of armour that you’d love to show off? In that case, we have the perfect program event for you!
The Great Torucon Prop-Off is an exhibition for props, helmets, costume parts, replica weapons and similar objects! And we would love YOU to submit one of your creations for the exhibit! This is a great opportunity to show off your craftsmanship! There might even be a prize or two waiting to be awarded some of you creative souls.
About the competition:
In order to participate in this competition you must have built a prop, piece of armour (i.e. a helmet, gauntlet, shoulder guard etc), replica weapon or similar by yourself. You need to bring it to Torucon and be willing to put it on display all through Sunday August 11th. You don’t need to worry about guarding the prop all day, as we will have crew members keeping watch over the exhibition.
We have a designated room where the exhibition takes place, and we can provide tables where you may put your prop. If you would like to prop it up with a fancy stand, you need to provide this on your own. We strongly advice bringing a stand, or thinking about how you would like to present your prop, as this enhances the showcase.
We would also like you to write a short informative text about your creation, which will be printed and placed next to your prop/armour piece/etc.
Our judges will be assessing the exhibition between 10:00 am and 12:00 pm. In this time span you as the creator need to be present in order to answer any potential questions from the judges, and to demonstrate any cool function of your prop/armour piece/etc.
The rest of the day (from 12:00 to 18:00) the exhibition will be open for all Torucon's guests to come by and admire all these amazing creations!
FOR THE FIRST TIME: TWO CATEGORIES!
At Torucon we just really like giving out prizes, and we like to give both beginners and more experienced creators a chance to win. So this year we’ve decided to have two categories in The Great Torucon Prop-Off: “NOVICE” for those who don’t have as much experience in prop-making yet, and “VETERAN” for those who’ve been prop-making for a good while!
Veteran champion: 1500 NOK.
Novice champion: 1500 NOK
In addition to the 1st prize in each category, we will be handing out some extra prizes to contestants deserving of a little extra credit for great craftsmanship and creative solutions!
Practical information about the competition:
- Registration for the competition will begin on July 1st, and the deadline to sign up is July 25th at 11:59 pm.
- Your exhibition object must be made by you. You may cooperate with others on a prop/armour piece/etc., but be aware that you’ll then have to share any potential prizes between yourselves.
- You may only enter so-called “hard props”, which means no items of clothing. Are you uncertain of whether your item qualifies? E-mail us!
- You do not need to be present to guard your object all day, as we have designated crew members to watch over the exhibition.
- You MUST be present from 10:00 am and until the judges have talked to you, so they can ask you any questions they might have.
- The exhibition will take place on Sunday 11th August.
- As the creator you are required to bring the exhibition object in the morning of Sunday 11th August between 09:45 am and 10:00 am, so we can exhibit it before the judges arrive. The judges will confer with the creators in the hours of 10:00 am-12:00 pm, and after this the exhibition will be open to the general public until 18:00 pm.
- As the creator it is your own responsibility to pick up your item and take it back home. The object must be picked up between 18:00pm and 18:30 pm. After 18:30 pm all exhibited objects that have not been collected will be moved to the information desk and can be picked up from there.
In the event that you have to leave at an earlier point in time, it is possible to collect your item at an earlier time. Just let us know about this when you sign up for the exhibition.
Deadnline to register is July 25th at 23:59!
Time: Sunday, 11:00 (closed for judging), 12:00 (open for the public) - 17:30.